School Direct Teacher Training Programme
About the School
The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School is a Catholic comprehensive school situated in the pleasant surroundings of Holland Park in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. There are around 955 pupils, with boys in the Lower School (KS3-KS4) and over 340 girls and boys in the Sixth Form (KS5). This heavily oversubscribed school recently celebrated its centenary and has a long tradition of academic, musical and sporting success.
Starting your teaching career at the Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School
At the Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School you are choosing to start your career in one of the most successful comprehensive schools in the country. Our success is a reflection of our belief in being innovative whilst staying true to those traditions which have stood the test of time. Central to our mission is an unwavering commitment to developing the full potential of all members of the Vaughan community, both pupils and teaching professionals alike. From the outset your professional development will be firmly rooted in a supportive environment where you will be trained and mentored by highly experienced colleagues dedicated to helping you achieve your goal of becoming an outstanding teacher.
Teacher Training at the Vaughan
Our teacher training is conducted via the DfE School Direct programme and e-Qualitas. We also work closely with a variety of primary and secondary schools and universities across London.
The School Direct pathway into teaching offers you the opportunity of early hands on experience in the classroom and to be mentored by experienced teaching practitioners from the outset.
● A salaried or unsalaried (tuition fee) role where you train whilst teaching in a school.
● Trainees are assigned an experienced subject mentor who takes the lead in providing coaching and guidance; this includes a weekly meeting and ongoing professional training sessions. The School’s Professional Development Tutors will also assist in this process.
● Trainees would begin with a reduced teaching timetable which gradually builds throughout the one-year programme.
● This programme also includes extended placements in contrasting schools in order to give a greater depth and scope to the training programme.
School Direct (tuition fee) places are for applicants who will be students, and charged a tuition fee. Students may be able to obtain a student loan of up to £6,000, and may be eligible for a bursary.
Our commitment to your professional development
● Trainee teachers will be provided with a departmental mentor, professional development tutor as well as a tutor from eQualitas
● A weekly programme of training sessions designed specifically for trainee teachers delivered by outstanding practitioners. These training sessions would work through the professional standards on weekly basis.
● Trainee teachers will be provided with five days professional development at e-Qualitas.
● Enrolment on the whole School’s professional development INSET programme. This would include five days of designated continuing professional development each year.
● An opportunity to regularly observe experienced teachers in lessons across subject areas.
● Access to extensive online resources.
● A programme overseen by the Professional Development Tutors who will work closely with you and the mentors to ensure you receive the bespoke training and support you need.
● Opportunities to visit and train in other schools with whom we closely work.
How to Apply
Candidates are strongly encouraged to attend our planned open evenings where you will have an opportunity to visit the School and meet those who will lead your professional training. Please indicate a week in advance via emailing the CPD team CPDTEAM@CVMS.CO.UK which date you would like to attend.
Once decided, the formal application process is via the UCAS Teacher Training portal here.