MENU
CLOSE

ICT & Computing

Vision of Computing Department at CVMS

The vision of the department continues to develop in line with that of the government’s. The department now offers both an ICT and Computer Science qualification at GCSE.

●  Pupils are prepared for a world in which Computing is seen as a natural part.
●  Every child leaves able to use computing efficiently and effectively at an appropriate level.
●  Pupils are aware of the dangers associated with the development of computing and their E-Safety.
●  Pupils understand what is meant by programming and have a basic knowledge of coding and algorithms.
●  Curricular and extra-curricular activities that enhance learning and enjoyment of the discipline.
●  Pupils are aware of the possibilities created by the developments within Computing
●  Pupils have an understanding of careers and opportunities in Computing and ICT related jobs.

Curriculum Content - KS3

The current first years are undertaking the new two year KS3, the department have devised a Computing curriculum based on the programme of study by the DfE. This includes a number of practical programming units using both visual and textual based and theoretical units investigating Hardware and Software and Data representation. All pupils also participate in an e-Safety unit accredited by the British Computer Society.

The School’s Computing (ICT) curriculum has always been dynamic and the department’s staff have always tried to provide a rich curriculum, we therefore do not foresee a complete redevelopment of the curriculum, rather some amending and fine tuning. The department has refined and redeveloped its unique tracking and assessment systems so that they encourage greater pupil reflection and provide pupils with a clearer understanding of pupil’s performance in a unit and across the key stage.

Curriculum Content- KS4

ICT IGCSE

The Information and Communication Technology IGCSE encourages students to understand and work with technology, giving them the confidence to design, test, implement and assess ICT systems. Students learn how to use the software effectively, and how to apply the ICT skills and knowledge acquired, in modern society and the business environment.

The course consists of three compulsory papers. Paper 1 is a written test focusing on ICT theory with some extended essay writing style questions. Papers 2 and 3 are both practical tests, comprising a number of tasks to be taken under controlled conditions. These practical tasks range from website development using HTML programming language to creating complex databases.

The IGCSE offered by the Cambridge International Examinations board is a fully accredited GCSE and a valued qualification by universities and employers.

Cambridge IGCSE Specification:

Paper 1: 2 Hours

Written paper testing section 1-8 of the curriculum content and assessing knowledge and understanding of ICT.

All question are compulsory: mostly short answers but requiring some longer responses

100 marks weighted at 40% of total.

40% total

Paper 2: 2½ Hours

Practical test assessing knowledge, skills and understanding of sections 9-16 of the curriculum content.

80 marks weighted at 30% of total.

30% of total

Paper 3: 2½ Hours

Practical test assessing knowledge, skills and understanding of sections 9-16 of the curriculum content

80 marks weighted at 30% of total.

30% of total

ICT GCSE (AQA)

GCSE Information and Communication Technology helps students develop their knowledge of current and emerging technologies, a range of ICT tools and techniques and society's use of ICT. This specification requires students to develop their ability to work collaboratively. There are two 25 hour controlled assessments worth 60% of the final mark (The Assignment: Applying ICT and Practical Problem Solving in ICT). The final 40% is examined in June of the final year. Controlled Assessment to be completed one each year.

Computer Science GCSE

This qualification gives pupils an understanding of key computing concepts and the fundamentals of programming.  The program of study consists of two controlled assessment tasks worth 30% each and one 90-minute examination worth 40%. The controlled assessments will consist of two tasks from a choice of four. Working independently, pupils demonstrate their ability to code a solution to a given problem.

Having studied this specification, candidates will be able to create their own mobile applications to gain additional functionality from their mobile devices, such as mobile phones or tablets, rather than being restricted to the applications available from other sources. They will also be able to create interactive web-based applications as opposed to just being end users of these.  In essence, studying this specification will free the candidate from dependency on other people creating applications for them to use. They will have developed the skills and understanding which underpin the creation of their own applications.

Exam – Computing fundamentals  

1½ Hours                                                                                                  

Written paper testing all curriculum content and assessing knowledge and understanding of Computer Science. This component will include a range of types of questions from very short to extended answer.

120 UMS weighted at 40% of total.

40% total

Controlled Assessment                                                               20 Hours (Recommended)

Working independently students demonstrate their ability to code a solution to a given problem. The tasks will be set in engaging and relevant contexts, e.g. gaming, web, mobile phone applications

90 UMS weighted at 30% of total.

30% of total

Controlled Assessment                                                               20 Hours (Recommended)

90 UMS weighted at 30% of total.

30% of total

(The AQA Computer Science GCSE and the Cambridge ICT IGCSE (see opposite) differ significantly in content, study, outcomes and post-16 opportunities. For further information on which course is more suitable for you please speak to a member of the Computer Science and ICT Department.)

Curriculum Content - KS5

This specification brings the study of ICT up to date for the 21st century. It is for students who wish to progress to higher education or to the world of work. Candidates can develop an understanding of how ICT can be used in society and organisations and the implications of its use.

Among the many benefits, this new specification is designed to encourage candidates to:

●  work co-operatively and manage projects
●  develop personal learning and thinking skills
●  provide quality ICT-based solutions to a range of problems
●  develop an awareness of developments in technology.

AS outline

At AS, there are 2 complementary units concerned with applying ICT to solve problems and the study of the opportunities for and effects of using ICT in the world today.

Candidates have the opportunity to put into practice a wide range of software and hardware to create solutions to solve problems:

●  INFO1: Practical Problem Solving in the Digital World
●  INFO2: Living in the Digital World.

AS: UNIT 1   Practical Problem Solving in the Digital World

Section A: 1½ Hours                                                                                                  

Short Answer questions

Section B:

3 or more structured questions requiring discursive answers.  All questions are compulsory

Externally marked by AQA

50% of AS mark and 25% of A-Level mark

UNIT 2  Living in the Digital World

Section A: 1½ Hours                                                                                                  

Short Answer questions

Section B:

Externally marked by AQA.

50% of AS mark and 25% of A-Level mark

A2 outline

At A2, students study the concepts associated with the use of ICT in the 21st century. They also have opportunities for acquiring skills needed in the IT profession such as co-operative working and project management.

These practical skills can be developed in areas of ICT that are of interest to them. Students can also use these newly acquired skills as a springboard into other qualifications and working environments:

·         INFO3: The Use of ICT in the Digital World

·         INFO4: Coursework: Practical Issues Involved in the Use of ICT in the Digital World

A2- UNIT 3   The Use of ICT in the Digital World

Section A: 2 Hours                                                                                                  

Short Answer questions

Section B:

Questions requiring extended prose answers.  All questions are compulsory.

Externally marked by AQA

60% of A2 mark and 30% of A-Level mark

UNIT 4  Coursework: Practical Issues Involved in the Use of ICT in the Digital World

2 Hours                                                                                                  

Candidates are required to produce a report based upon their practical work/investigation.  The report will be internally marked and externally moderated

40% of A2 mark and 20% of A-Level mark

back to top